The church at Þingeyrar is one of the most important Icelandic churches.
it was built of stone in Romanesque style and consecrated 1877.
The church possesses many costly treasures.
The oldest object in the church is a fine 15th century English alabaster altarpiece.
The hexagonal pulpit with a tester and baptismal font is from late 17th century.
Þingeyrar was an important place from early settlement
and is mentioned in the saga literature as a regional assembly site.
Next to the church is a large circular structure,
believed to be a judgement circle and listed as a heritage site.